I was SO impressed how wonderfully moist and flavorful these came out. My cousin’s husband said this was “the best cupcake he ever had,” let a lone VEGAN cupcake. The cake itself has a wonderful warm appley fall flavor and the frosting is a very light maple flavor that is the perfect complement to the cake. I topped them off with little slices of apple and chopped walnuts.
This was the first time I made a frosting using earthbalance and I was very satisfied with the result. However, I think I am at that point where I forget what real butter tastes like as well…
Recipe for Apple Spiced Cupcakes (adapted from foodnetwork):
Makes about 12-14 cupcakes
- 1 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2-1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon all-spice ( I didn’t have any so I used a little bit of cardamom, cloves, and nutmeg)
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded apple (with the skin! it’s a good source of fiber :))
- 1/3 cup coconut oil ( you may have to melt it a little if it’s not soft enough)
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 tablespoon unsulphured blackstrap molasses (still don’t really know what this is)
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- nuts optional, I just sprinkled some of mine with chopped walnuts!
- 3 cups confectionary sugar
- 8 tablespoons earth balance
- 6 tablespoons maple syrup, or more
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line your cupcake trays.
- Whisk together milk and vinegar, set aside for a few minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all dry ingredients. Set aside.
- In a third bowl, beat together coconut oil and brown sugar until fluffy. The beat in milk and vinegar mixture, molasses, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Add mixture to dry ingredients, as well as the shredded apple. The amazing part is that you can actually eat the batter without having fear of getting sick.
- Pour batter into cupcake liners and bake about 15-20 minutes. Use a tooth pick or fork to check the middle to ensure that they are baked to perfection.
- Remove cupcakes and set aside to cool. To speed up the cooling process I like to put mine in the freezer for 10-15 minutes, about 10 minutes after removing them from the oven.
- Beat together frosting ingredients and decorate your cakes!!