THIS RECIPE IS AMAZING!!!! Flavor and texture are on point; it really “feels” like you’re eating chicken, not that I would want to but you get what I’m saying. The sesame seeds and scallions add for nice little zing of flavor (I love sesame seeds on everything, a long with hot sauce).
Now that I live in NYC, I have discovered so many different colored versions of vegetables (including purple cauliflower and purple potatoes!!!) Although I did not use purple cauliflower in this recipe, I have learned that the purple coloring is due to the presence of an antioxidant (this is generally the case for brightly colored vegetables) called anthocyanin, which is also found in red wine and red cabbage.
Along with purple cauliflower there is orange cauliflower (which I have yet to see), which is orange due the presence of beta-carotene, a precursor to vitamin A!
Recipe adapted from Connoisseurus Veg):
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1/4 cups non-dairy milk
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (all-purpose is fine too)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large cauliflower, broken into bite-sized florets
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp chili garlic sauce or sriracha
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 scallions, chopped (for topping)
- toasted sesame seeds (for topping)
- cooked rice (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Stir milk, flour, salt, and baking powder in a small bowl. Toss the cauliflower into the mixture until well coated and place on an oiled baking sheet. Bake for 10-15 minutes until crisp. (Make sure to check in regularly and flip over if needed).
- Combine water and cornstarch in a small bowl until well dissolved and set aside.
- For the sauce, combine the remaining in a small sauce pan and bring to a simmer, simmering the mixture for 10 minutes. Add cornstarch mixture and mix well.
- Pour sauce over cauliflower and bake for another 3-4 minutes until the sauce is sticky.
- Remove from oven and add any toppings and rice! 🙂